The Student News Site of South Lyon East High School

Beast News

Beast News

Beast News

Girls Basketball Season is Here

By Alaina Rider

Out of the twelve hundred students attending South Lyon East high school, only thirteen of them earn a spot on the girls varsity basketball team. That is less than one percent of the student population at South Lyon East.

Last week, tryouts were held in the South Lyon East gym from 7-9 p.m.

The girls varsity basketball season lasts from the beginning of November and ends in the middle of March, making it one of the longest sports seasons at East.

Returning players, Nina Pearl, Jasmine Joseph, and Reagan Ritchie feel that the new team is going to be a mix of strong ball handlers, 3-point shooters, and great leaders.

Last season, the team made it to the District Finals and played against Brighton High School. They lost, and Brighton became the District Champions.

However, this year, the East is determined to become the next District Champs.

All three of the returning players are excited for this upcoming season.

“We are looking forward to seeing how much everyone has improved,” said Ritchie.

Joseph said, “We can’t wait to get back in the gym and play with our teammates.”

“This season is going to be unlike last season because this season everyone will want to continue to work hard and improve our placement in the LVC from last year,” insisted Pearl.

“After making it as far as we did last year, everyone is ecstatic to move up in the rankings,” she said.

For the full season schedule of games and events visit their athletic site. The first home game is Dec.17.