The Student News Site of South Lyon East High School

Beast News

Beast News

Beast News

Varsity Football Ends: Team Will Lose Only 6 Seniors

By David Bulmer

Varsity Football played their last game on Friday, October 25 to wrap up their season.

The Cougars fell to the South Lyon Lions in their final game for the year 42-18 .

Anthony Dipiazza, a senior, plays right tackle. He loved his role on the team.

Dipiazza said, “We started well, but it quickly went downhill.” 

In terms of the strengths of this team, Dipiazza mentioned, “Our strength would have to be having a lot of heart and spirit, but for weaknesses, that would be our lack of football experience. People think that jumping from freshman to varsity is a small change but it’s actually a huge change.”  

A favorite moment in Dipiazza’s personal career of high school football was a sack against Walled Lake Northern in overtime. His favorite team memory was this years’ homecoming game. The whole team was performing well and East came out with a blowout win.

Drew Ranson, another senior, played wide receiver and linebacker. Ranson broke the school record this year for most career pick sixes, with 2, a personal achievement he is very proud of.

Senior Donovan Wright was this year’s MVP, a running back and inside back for East.

Ranson specified, “Donovan was really good with tackling and running a lot.”

Underclassmen standouts this season were junior Zander Desentz, who filled in for an injured quarterback, junior left and defensive tackle Trevon Tyler, and sophomore defenseman  Tyler Zischerk.

“Not many sophomores can impress me, and he [Zischerk] did,” Dipiazza said.

With only 6 seniors leaving the team this season, East will return with a full house next year- many with valuable playing experience from 2019. 

Some players have already begun leading off-season conditioning opportunities for athletes who wish to begin prepping for next year.