The Student News Site of South Lyon East High School

Beast News

Beast News

Beast News

Boys Diving and Swimming Looking for Repeat Success

Boys+Swim+team+of+2019+led+many+successes+including+the+conference+title.+
Boys Swim team of 2019 led many successes including the conference title.

by Martyna Malanowicz

Recent Conference Title winners and undefeated team, South Lyon East Boys Swim and Dive, is looking to improve their record this upcoming 2020 season.

With the loss of only two seniors last season, Jared Keeney said, “The team will keep most of its depth keeping us on the way to States again.”

The season began with practice following the week after Thanksgiving break. 

Practice is from 3-5 p.m. on school days and 8-10 a.m. on Saturday morning.They also have additional morning practices which are typically three days a week (Monday,Tuesday, and Thursday) which go from 5:30 a.m. to 6:45 a.m.

The Swim and Dive meets consist of events such as the 200 IM, 200 Freestyle, 100 backstroke, 100 breaststroke etc. During larger meets the individual swimmer’s get the chance to medal, but at smaller meets they, “get a pat on the back,” as Eric Perczak jokes.

Many have hopes for repeat success from last year.

Senior Jared Keeney said, “My biggest accomplishment is going to states for three events last year.” 

Many have been working year-round for the season and several also swim for a club team.

For example, varsity swimmer Eric Perczak said, “I started swimming when I was 8 months old and I began competitive swim in 7th grade for Millennial and Centennial Middle School.” Eric continued in a club named SLA which blossomed his swimming career. Eric’s end goal for swimming is to get scouted by a college.

For more information on dates of meets, complete roster, etc. check out the team website.