The Student News Site of South Lyon East High School

Beast News

Beast News

Beast News

Homecoming Football Action

On Friday October 12, the South Lyon East Cougars will be taking on the Milford Mavericks,  and it’s Homecoming. The Cougars have had 4 wins so far and a possible chance to make playoffs if they win one of their last 2 games.

Last year the Cougars lost the annual homecoming game against Lakeland High School by a score of 51-21. This loss last year and the previous year against Livonia Stevenson  have the Cougars fired up to take the win this time around.

The Cougars are 2-1 at home and are looking to keep their win/loss record at home above .500 average wins. Milford, on the other hand, has not won a single game at home or on the road with inter conference matchups against Walled Lake Western losing 35-0.

Knowing this, it should spark some confidence in the team after a loss last Friday against Walled Lake Western. The score was 12-7 and it seems that coming back home may give the Cougars the advantage against a winless Milford team.

Senior Cornerback Jon Carter said, “It’s always a big game because of course you wanna win, but you always wanna do well in front of the big crowd and it would be really crappy to lose and then have to go to the dance the next day because it’s not a good combination.”

The players are feeling the pressure of how big Friday night’s game is. However, Chris Kaminski, Senior Quarterback, said, “It’s just like any other game, really. Every game is a big game when you only play 9 of them. It’s just another week.”

Kaminski will be out with a shoulder injury this week.

East Head coach Joe Pesci commented, “It is a big loss for our football team not having Chris Kaminski out there.  Chris was a three year starter for us and has shown great leadership. His experience out on the field is tough to replace but we as a staff feel that Ayden Oliver will step up and do a great job for us.”

The replacement starting Quarterback will be Sophomore Ayden Oliver for the game.

Coach Pesci said, “He is only a sophomore, so playing quarterback at the varsity level has been an adjustment for him.  I am confident that his experience last week against Walled Lake Western will only help us these last two weeks of the regular season.”

Oliver had his first taste of action against Waterford Mott and was able to get the win for the Cougars. Last week was his first start against Walled Lake Western and it was a close game through and through, but East couldn’t get the win.

For all information about the Varsity team’s season click  HERE.