The Student News Site of South Lyon East High School

Beast News

Beast News

Beast News

Ski Teams Seasons are Coming to a Close

By Dylan O’Connor

Although winter is coming to an end, South Lyon Unified Ski Team isn’t ready to hang up their poles just yet. The team has qualified for Regional Championships and excitement is building for many members of the team.

“Regionals are one of my favorite parts of the season, and I’ve been looking forward to them all year long.” said Senior Girls Captain Gracie Sigouin. Sigouin has been on the team for all four years of high school, and competes for XLR8 racing in her free time.

Expectations are high for the girls team, as they sport the strongest varsity team in several years since standout Anna Geyer graduated in 2017 after winning a state championship in the Slalom event. Highlighted by names such as Sigouin, Kelsey O’Connor, Bree Bidwell, and Sophie Yeung, the girls promise to give their best effort no matter where they place.

“I think I speak for the whole team when I say that we’re going to try our best, since this might be the last race for a lot of the team.” said Senior Sophie Yeung. Yeung is also a four-year member of the team who values the relationships she has forged with many other skiers. “I’m going to miss all of these people.”

The men’s event also promises to be an exciting one, with Hunter Williams, Ben Aulicino, and Phil Sigouin leading the card for the Giant Slalom. Williams is a four-year senior, and has been in Varsity for three of them.

Unlike other four-year athletes, Senior Katie Blunden has only been on the team for two years and wishes she had been on the team in her Freshman and Sophomore year as well. “I wish I could have come here sooner so that I could go to ski camp again.”

Ski camp is a highlight of the season for many members of the team, as the entire team travels up north to Boyne Highlands for a weekend of intensive training.

To watch these upcoming events, head to Mt. Brighton on February 14 for Giant Slalom, and February 15 for Slalom. The Women’s event starts at 4:05 and the Mens at 6:20. Champions will ski on February 15 at 9:15 for GS, and Slalom is to be announced on February 15.