East Drama Presents Fall Play: The Dining Room

By Marisa Martin

South Lyon East Drama is presenting “The Dining Room” this November. The play features vignettes about the lives of people and that which happens around a dining room table. 

Students and Director Wendy Sielaff are looking forward to the upcoming fall play. The performance will take place at South Lyon East in the auditorium, starting on November 21-23 at 7 p.m. and then again November 24 at 2 p.m.

Tickets are on sale now and can be bought through the South Lyon East Drama website, Java House Cafe, and the South Lyon Center for Active Adults. They can also be purchased at the door.

“The Dining Room” is a collection of vignettes about people during different eras.

Sophomore Rachael Braun explains, “It’s a little bit more of a serious topic.” 

Senior Morgan Campbell, President of the Drama Board, said this year’s play “has a unique twist.”

The main difference between East’s version of “The Dining Room” and the original is the emphasis on different decades.  

Sielaff is passionate about this production and looking forward to the upcoming performance.

“I love watching the characters come to life. They put air in them,” said Sielaff.

“It is a good chance for all of the kids to be able to act,” Sielaff said when explaining why she chose “The Dining Room” for this year’s play.

The play allows many opportunities for students due to the collection of different scenes and the many roles the cast members have. 

The students involved in the production practice three to four times a week at the South Lyon East auditorium. 

Sophomore Grant Kruger says that most students have to double up on roles, especially because of the lack of boys. 

Kruger is in a modern day scene and a 1920’s scene.  “In my 1920’s scene, I have friends that I don’t talk to as much, so now I’m closer with them,” Kruger says, talking about the friendships he formed throughout rehearsals. 

A backstage tradition that is important to the cast is called “circle”. The cast members all form a circle before their performance. They say a prayer, say their favorite line, talk about their favorite memory, do a handshake, and finish with a pinkie squeeze. 

See below for a complete cast list:

[pdf-embedder url=”https://beastnews.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/CastCrewList-Dining-Room-1.pdf” title=”CastCrewList – Dining Room”]