The Student News Site of South Lyon East High School

Beast News

Beast News

Beast News

South Lyon Unified Hockey Showing Their Stars

Huddling after an overtime winning goal by Brian Plohetski. Photo by Hunter Sutton

The South Lyon Unified Hockey team has been doing very well since the recent change in conferences. They currently are 9-3 through out the first 12 games played this year.

The boys are undefeated in conference play.

The team recently joined the Lakes Valley Conference and have had success ever since.

Jace Gerlach, Junior Assistant Captain, thinks that the transfer into the new conference allows their players to play against decent competition, while allowing the players to learn to play with each other more. He thinks this will create more team chemistry for the end season.

The boys recently had an overtime win against Milford with a score of 3 to 2 with Brian Plohetski scoring in the last 2:31 left in overtime off of a rebound.

“I saw Bigler cutting towards the net and getting ready to shoot so i crashed the net and it ended up going our way,” said Plohetski, a Junior Left Winger.

The boys still have 12 more games left in the regular season (Schedule). “I think the toughest opponent in the upcoming schedule is Livonia Churchill,” said Gerlach.

The boys play Churchill on 2/22/18 at 6 p.m. at the Kensington Ice House. Livonia Churchill is 9-6-1 in regular season play and play in Unified’s old conference the KLAA.

The boys hope to keep up the work and continue the domination they have been putting out on the ice. 

“Definitely [looking for] a league championship and we will see what comes after,” said Jack Marchand, a Junior Defensemen.