Halfway There: Episode 5

Quick Cougar Updates: Week of March 10, 2021

Podcast by Caroline French

Scheduling

Current 9th-11th grade HS students will access their scheduling information and documents during their 1st and 4th hour classes on Wednesday, March 10 with their hybrid teachers. VLP students, without an East class during those hours, will attend Google Meets hosted by their counselors at either 8:45 a.m. or 11:48 p.m.

Please read 2021-22 Scheduling Information for everything you need to know from your counselors. 

Curriculum Fair

The Curriculum Fair is all online this year for students to receive information about courses they are interested in. There is a website with videos regarding the courses available to students. Representatives from many extracurricular activities have shared videos, and contact information. If you are interested in finding out more about what East has to offer, please take some time to visit the Virtual Curriculum Fair. 

You can access this website by clicking here. (Please note, this presentation is not formatted to be viewed on a phone.)

OSTC Magazine

Attached is a new CTE Magazine created by Oakland Schools which features OSTC Program offerings, Oakland Technical Early College Options, Licenses and Certificates available as well as Michigan’s Top 50 Careers.

OSTC_CourseBookFinal_Digital 2021 2022.pdf 

Virtual College Fair

Whether you’ve already started your college search or have no idea where to begin, the College Board wants to connect you with colleges that might be a good fit for you.  BigFuture™ Days gives you a chance to get information about multiple colleges from college admissions officers and current college students.

To register, please click this Big Future Days Midwest link to access more information

Yearbooks

If you haven’t already ordered a 2021 yearbook, time is running out! There are only 58 yearbooks left for sale! Once those are sold, we are sold out and cannot order more! 

To reserve yours today, please go to www.jostensyearbooks.com. Extras are sold on a first come first serve basis. 

To see if you’ve already purchased a yearbook, please email Mrs. Krieger at [email protected].

Senior Announcements

Senior Announcements can be picked up in the Commons during all lunches on Thursday, March 11, 2021.

Senior Shirts

If you ordered a Senior Shirt through the online store, they have arrived and are ready for pick up! They will be distributed during lunches, or can be picked up from Ms. Pyles’ room (2202) after school. VLP students may pick their shirts up from the main office between 2:30 and 3:30 pm daily. 

If you did NOT get a chance to purchase a shirt the first time around, the online shop has been opened once again. The price of the shirts has gone up, and we’ll need a 12 piece minimum in order for the sale to go through. This is the FINAL chance to purchase a senior shirt if you haven’t already. Deadline is March 15th. Use this link to purchase yours today: https://www.bsnteamsports.com/shop/EastSeni21

Spring Sports

Spring sports begin on March 22nd!  Please see the attached slide for coaches contact information. Contact the coach to learn about try-out information and schedules.

2021 Spring Season Start Up.pdf 

SLE Fundraisers

Every year, students participating in a club, team, or organization usually have a fundraiser to raise money for their group or to donate to a charitable cause. All current fundraisers are on the SLE website under the School Links menu.

SLEF Perseverance Award

The South Lyon Educational Foundation (SLEF) announced that the 2021 Perseverance Award application process is now open. Two $1,000 scholarships to South Lyon seniors will be awarded to one senior from each high school. The Perseverance Awards are made to recognize students who have overcome significant obstacles in their lives or demonstrated dramatic academic improvement throughout their high school careers. There is no G.P.A. requirement, only that eligible students must be accepted and plan to attend an academic, vocational or technical school or program in the fall. 

The scholarship application can be found here.

All electronic submissions must be due to [email protected] by Thursday, April 22nd. The scholarships will be presented to winning seniors at seniors honor nights in June. (If some form of the celebrations cannot be done this year, other arrangements will be made)

The scholarship application is also available at the SLEF website.

Important Dates

St. Patrick’s Day : Wednesday, March 17th

Easter : Sunday, April 4th

Spring Break : Monday, April 5th – 9th