The Student News Site of South Lyon East High School

Beast News

Beast News

Beast News

Reading between the lines

How lack of meaningful discussions impacts the English curriculum

As students, we’ve all been forced to read a lot of books. I have noticed that most books don’t receive the detailed discussions they need.

And due to the lack of discussion, it can be very difficult to see the point behind many books. These discussions are important because it allows students to spend time thinking about a theme or message, and what the theme/message actually means. 

The best books challenge your thinking and open your mind to new perspectives. An excellent example would be All Quiet On The Western Front, a book about the horrors of serving in the first world war. While it would be an excellent addition to the curriculum, it requires time to think critically about the messages the book conveys. 

But even the best of books require good discussions to help start the thought process. 

Books such as Catcher in the Rye, and Of Mice And Men, are books that I noticed needed more in-depth discussions, that unfortunately didn’t get the time needed, which resulted in their literary weight disappearing without the discussion of the book on a deeper, more personal level.  

This is what teachers try to help with.

“Degustibus non disputandum est,” said Mr. Grieves, a phrase which means In a matter of taste, there can be no disputes. This applies directly to teaching, for example Mr. Grieves prefers to teach the philosophical side of a book.

Mr. Grieves helped pioneer the English curriculum, and his teaching style tends to lend itself to allowing students to give their opinions and interpretations of books. This method of teaching helps students to think critically about the books they read. 

However English classes often have multiple books to cover, and lack the time to go in-depth on a book’s meanings and complexities. 

But how do you go about fixing this? 

I think the best choice would be to allow students to pick the books they read, and have students give their views and interpretations of the book. This has the benefit of allowing students to enhance their critical thinking, and creativity. All the while reading a book they enjoy.